Ariana Grande | Photo: No Tears Left To Cry artwork
Ariana Grande has spoken candidly about the emotional devastation she felt after the Manchester bombings at her concert last year.
The incident occurred almost one year ago, on May 22, 2017. Some 22 people were killed, with more than 500 injured.
In a cover interview with TIME, the Into You singer said: ‘I don’t want to give [the attack] that much power. Something so negative. It’s the absolute worst of humanity. That’s why I did my best to react the way I did. The last thing I would ever want is for my fans to see something like that happen and think it won.’
‘Music is supposed to be the safest thing in the world,’ she furthermore went on between sobs. ‘I think that’s why it’s still so heavy on my heart every single day. I wish there was more that I could fix. You think with time it’ll become easier to talk about. Or you’ll make peace with it. But every day I wait for that peace to come and it’s still very painful.’
The star is included in the title’s ‘Next Generation Leaders’-themed issue.
Speaking about the immediate aftermath of the bombing, when Ariana went to be with her grandmother in Florida, her manager Scooter Braun also told the publication: ‘I said, “We need to get a concert and get back out there.” She looked at me like I was insane. She said, “I can never sing these songs again. I can’t put on these outfits. Don’t put me in this position.”‘
A benefit in the UK city was planned within weeks, with Justin Bieber and Katy Perry performing and Ariana headlining.
‘RIP Martyn Hett’
One of the victims of the attack was gay journalist Martyn Hett, who was also a massive fan of Mariah Carey.
Carey was so moved by the loss of Martyn that she posted an individual tribute to him on Instagram.
‘Devastated to learn that one of the victims in Manchester was part of the #Lambily,’ she said at the time. ‘RIP Martyn Hett.’