GAY global news

Neo-Nazi convicted of planning to kill people with a machete at UK Pride event

Written by gaytourism

A neo-Nazi who plotted to kill people at a Pride event with a machete was convicted of terrorism.

Ethan Stables, 20, denied planning to attack the LGBT event at the New Empire pub in Barrow, Cumbria, in June 2017.

He claimed he posted comments on Facebook to impress far-right friends.

Stables said, in court, he was ‘ashamed’ as he was bisexual.

He was found guilty of a terrorism charge and plans to kill.

Stables will be sentenced later today (5 February).

Terrorist planned murder with machete at Pride

Police told the court he planned to murder people at the LGBTI event with a machete.

The only way he was stopped was after he told people about it on Facebook, police said at Leeds Crown Court.

Prosecutors described him as a ‘white supremacist’ who had a ‘deep-seated hatred’ of gay people.

‘I’m going to walk in with a fucking machete and slaughter every single one of the gay bastards,’ he allegedly said.

The jury has seen a video of Stables saying ‘gays look nicer on fire’ as he burned a rainbow flag.

Coming out as bi

Stables then revealed he had sexual experiences with men.

He said in court he was scared to reveal his sexuality because his parents would be ‘disgusted’ and ‘ashamed’.

He told the jury: ‘I am disgusted and ashamed at myself for what I said. I just wish I could turn the clock back. I’m sorry.’

Stables’ godfather Phillip Loveless, who is gay, said he did not believe Stables to be homophobic.

‘I felt he did go off on paranoid fantasies. He would get very fixated on certain ideas,’ he said.

‘On one level it seemed totally bizarre (when he was arrested) but on another level we had all been waiting for something to happen.

Telling people on Facebook

On a Nazi-themed Facebook group, Stables told members he planned to murder people at the pub.

One woman, from Staffordshire, spotted the messages from the neo-Nazi  and contacted the local police.

Stables was caught close to the pub, at around 10pm, by Cumbria Police.

Detectives say it was likely this was his last act of reconnaissance before intending to return later with weapons.

They later found a machete, an explosive substance, and Nazi regalia including a swastika armband at his home, the court heard.